Why not call Australia home and take out citizenship?
Benefits of Australian citizenship include:
- obtaining an Australian passport – receive priority entry to Australia
- ability to apply for some government and other jobs
- the right to vote
Applicants for Australian citizenship must now meet the following residence requirements:
- 4 years lawful residence immediately prior to application including at least 12 months as a permanent resident
- no more than 12 months total absence from Australia within the 4 year period
- no more than 3 months absence from Australia during the 12 month permanent residence period
The new residence requirements affect applications by all persons who obtain permanent residence after 1 July 2007.
Persons who held Australian permanent residence at 1 July 2007 must apply under the former residence requirements (2 years permanent residence within the preceding 5 years including 12 months in the preceding 2 years).
The citizenship criteria benefit applicants who have been temporary residents in Australia - for example on a working visa, student visa or similar - and have held Australian permanent residence for at least nine months.
Applicants for Australian citizenship must complete a Citizenship Test - measuring an applicant’s knowledge of Australia’s history and society, the rights and responsibilities of citizenship as well as ensuring that applicants have an acceptable level of English
For an assessment of your eligibility for Australian citizenship, contact Aspire Australia.